VNX FAST Suite
Boost application performance, protect critical information, and reduce storage costs
Get a Quote!
VNX FAST Suite software contains FAST Cache and FAST VP, when combined with Flash drives, facilitates your FLASH 1st strategy. This suite of software improves performance, boosts storage efficiency, and lowers costs by automatically tiering and serving data from the most cost-effective drive type.
VNX FAST Suite automatically optimizes for the highest system performance and lowest storage cost simultaneously.
- Boost performance: Extendable FAST Cache ensures that the hottest data is always served from high-performance Flash SSDs.
- Automated storage tiering: FAST VP optimizes storage pools automatically based on customer-defined policies, ensuring that active data is served from SSDs, while less active data is tiered to lower-cost disk drives.
- VNX Software Essentials Pack combines the most requested VNX software functionality
- Optimize SLAs for both the lowest cost and the highest application performance automatically
- Enforce retention at the filelevel for compliance
- Recover and repurpose applications locally and remotely
- Manage Microsoft Exchange, SQL Server, Oracle Database, VMware and File application copies
- Administer VNX software and hardware via Unisphere™
- Enforce security with data at rest encryption
- Provide VNX analytics through vRealize Operations Manager
The VNX Software Essentials Pack includes VNX’s most customer requested software features into one cost effective package
- FAST: FAST VP and FAST Cache
- Events and Retention: File Level Retention, Common Event Enabler (CEE) – Common Anti-Virus Agent and Common Event Publishing Agent
- Local Protection: SnapSure, SnapView, VNX Snapshots, RecoverPoint SE Local Replication
- Remote Protection: Replicator, MirrorView A/S, RecoverPoint SE Remote Replication – Plus 15 VM licenses for RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines & 5 VPLEXVE Licenses included
EMC VNX Series Functional Software:
The Industry’s Most Extensive Software Offerings
The VNX series offers the most comprehensive software functionality to ensure customers have all of the necessary capabilities to protect and manage their information. Based on customer feedback, EMC created the VNX Software Essentials Pack. It incorporates VNX’s most requested software features into one cost effective package. It includes the ability to dynamically move data for storage efficiencies while providing performance increase to applications. It also delivers remote and local replication to ensure you data is protected along with insuring your data is protected from malicious activity, and much more.
VNX Software Essentials Pack Includes:
- FAST (Fully Automated Storage Tiering)—automatically optimize for the highest system performance and the lowest storage cost simultaneously.
- VNX Events and Retention—Keep data safe from changes and deletions.
- Local Protection—Practice safe data protection and repurposing.
- Remote Protection Functionality—Protect data against localized failures, outages, and disasters.
- Hypervisor-based replication—Fifteen VM licenses for RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines—Delivers local and remote hypervisor-based replication
- Continuous Data Availability—Five VPLEX-VE Licenses - Enables continuous data availability for VMware ESXi environments.
Standard Software Functionality
- Base Software – Includes the VNX (OE) Operating Environment for file and block, access protocols for: (CIFS, NFS, pNFS, FC, FCoE, iSCSI, SMB3), Thin Provisioning, 8K Fixed Block Deduplication for Block and File, Single Instance Deduplication for File, Block & File Compression and SAN Copy for block migration.
- Unisphere Management — Unified storage management platform for the VNX series that provides intuitive user interfaces with a task-oriented approach. It offers monitoring and reporting on performance and capacity trending capabilities for VNX storage systems. Unisphere also monitors the health, alerts and performance of large numbers of VNXe and VNX systems across a central console.
- VDM MetroSync - Zero-data loss file (NAS) synchronous replication solution using Virtual Data Mover (VDM) technology. Provides a superior DR solution to array-level DR solutions, allows customers to failover individual VDM’s based on their business priority.
- VDM MetroSync Manager – Management software for VDM MetroSync functionality. Provides a GUI interface to display VDM MetroSync session information and run operations to move, failover, or restore VDMs. It also has the ability to continuously monitor sessions and automatically initiate failover when issues are detected.
- Data at Rest Encryption—not part of any VNX software Essentials pack; VNX offers controller based data at rest encryption (D@RE).
- EMC Storage Analytics—not part of any VNX software Essentials pack; this delivers the storage-only features and functionality of VMware vRealize Operations Manager.
- Application Protection — EMC AppSync software automates application copies.
Fast (Fully Automated Storage Tiering)
The FAST improves performance and maximizes storage efficiency by enabling customers to deploy a Hybrid Flash strategy. Using FAST and the right amount of Flash drives for the workload, Hybrid Flash lowers storage costs and delivers higher performance levels for your most important applications by automatically tiering and serving data from the most costeffective drive type, based on the data’s need. Customers define how and when data is tiered using policies that dynamically move active data to highperformance drives, and less active data to high-capacity drives. For inconsistent, high-demand workloads, an extendable cache of up to 4.2 terabytes ensures that data is served from the highest performing Flash drives for as long as needed. With a Hybrid Flash strategy, customers can Set-it-and-forget-it performance optimization for have Flash performance at the cost of disk.
VNX Events And Retention
The VNX Events and Retention helps customers ensure that data is protected from unwanted changes and deletions. It maintains data confidentiality for selected data at rest and enforces retention at the file-level to meet compliance requirements and integrates with third-party, anti-virus checking, quota management, and auditing applications for added data protection, security, and peace of mind.
Practice safe data protection and repurposing with the Local Protection. This software gives customers any point-in-time recovery with DVR-like roll-back capabilities for business continuity on block-based storage, allowing recovery of production applications with minimal data exposure. Application owners can tune recovery point objectives based on the criticality of data, and perform faster recovery through self-service capabilities.
The Remote Protection offers protection against localized failures, outages, and disasters. It lets customers deliver disaster recovery protection for any host and any application on block-based or file-based storage—without compromise—and with immediate DVR-like rollback to a point-in-time. Additional capabilities include compression and deduplication for WAN bandwidth reduction and application-specific recovery point objectives.
Data At Rest Encryption (D@RE)
EMC VNX Data-At-Rest-Encryption (D@RE) uses a controller based encryption method to encrypt all data written to disk, protecting data access against unauthorized drive removal (lost or stolen drives). In some cases D@RE can eliminate the need for data erasure services.
EMC AppSync automates application-consistent copies of Microsoft® Exchange, SQL Server®, Oracle Database, VMware data stores and Filesystems, and provides recovery based on defined service levels. It provides user roles that enable self-service protection, while improving visibility for all application recovery points.
EMC Storage Analytics (ESA)
EMC Storage Analytics solution delivers a single, end-to end view of virtualized infrastructures (servers to storage) powered by VMware® vRealize™ Operations analytics engine. Optimize performance and diagnose issues across physical storage and virtual machines with EMC Storage Analytics (ESA). This software lets you extend VMware vRealize Operations analytics to supported EMC storage platforms. Out-of-the box custom visualizations and health indicators (badges) help you quickly deploy EMC infrastructure support within vRealize Operations Manager. Dashboards, heat maps, and other visual tools provide deep visibility into your EMC infrastructure.
Current EMC VNX Software Offerings
|VNX Software Essentials Pack||FAST (Fully automated Storage Tiering)
FAST Cache - Extends cache for performance boost
FAST VP - Dynamic data tiering across drives type to constantly
balance performance and cost
|VNX Events and Retention
File Level Retention (WORM) to keep data safe from changes and
Common Event Enabler – Integration with market leading Anti-virus
agents and data quota tools
RecoverPoint SE (Local) - DVR-like recovery for block storage
VNX Snapshots / SnapView - Block storage snaps and clones
SnapSure - File system snaps
RecoverPoint SE - Unified storage replication with DVR-like recovery
MirrorView – Native block based storage replication
Replicator – Native granular file system level replication and recovery
RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines – Delivers local and remote
hypervisor-based replication (15 VM licenses)
VPLEX-VE - Enables continuous data availability for VMware ESXi
environments (5 Licenses)
|Other VNX Software||Application Protection
AppSync - Automate application copies for Microsoft® Exchange, SQL
Server®, Oracle Database, VMware data stores and Filesystems
|Data at Rest Encryption
D@RE - Controller based data at rest encryption to enforce security
Storage Analytics with VMware vRealize Operations Manager
|VNX FAST Suite Specifications|
|Solution For||Storage Management|
Download the VNX Software Datasheet (PDF).
Get a Quote!